Austin Energy Green Building (AEGB) created the country’s first green home rating system in 1991. We have led the field of sustainable building ever since. Our Single-Family Program promotes the design, construction, purchase, and operation of green homes. We do this through extensive marketing and education to both building professionals and the public. The heart of this effort is our Single-Family Rating System. We designed it to reflect Central Texas’ hot-humid climate, resources, and building conditions.
Getting started in green building is easy. If you’re an architect, designer, or builder, the AEGB Single-Family team works with you to rate single-family homes in the Austin Energy service area. We’ll also help you with projects requiring an AEGB Rating. You’ll need to attend an AEGB Single Family Orientation (offered monthly) before you can register a home for a Rating. To rate a home located outside the Austin Energy service area, read about rating a home in our Extended Area. If you are another type of professional, such as a trade contractor or a real estate agent, the Single-Family Orientation will help you learn how the program can benefit your business.
Our experienced staff can:
- Help identify your project’s sustainability goals and inspire your team.
- Share information about green materials, products, and techniques.
- Help find available financial incentives for your clients.
- Provide you with marketing materials and opportunities.
The AEGB Single-Family Rating System applies to new construction, remodels, and additions to single-family homes, duplexes, and town homes. Our Rating System evolves along with new technologies and our understanding of sustainable building practices. It is also stable: from the time you start a project, you’ll work with a single set of rating requirements and measures, which will remain constant through completion.
Our Single-Family Rating System:
- Automatically totals rating points and tracks progress toward your rating goal.
- Rates your home on a 1-to-5 star scale, with 5 stars being the greenest.
- Creates marketing-ready case studies for AEGB’s website and other high visibility forums.
- Adds major project team participants to AEGB’s online Directory of Green Building Professionals.
The AEGB Single Family Guidebook (pdf) explains in detail all the measures in the Single-Family Rating System.
Review the rating guides and scorecards to set goals for your project. We’re here to guide you through the process from planning phase to move in day.
use our rating system
use our resources